Monday 20 October 2014

Hello!

Welcome to my shiny new blog!

This post will just be a short introduction. I haven't fully decided what I want this blog to be about, but I'll probably use it as an escape from studying. It's likely to contain book reviews and recommendations, photos of my baking achievements (though probably not any of my own recipes - I'm not that good at baking, I just like cake!), occasional anecdotes, and perhaps even photos from my field site if anything interesting happens. Or when the view is as gorgeous as this, for example:



So, to begin: my name is Amanda, and I'm 22. I like to nap, a lot. My life is relatively sane and boring (not complaining... much!) so I tend to live in the worlds of books, TV shows and sometimes films. In my mind, I'm still 18, which is why I both read and write mostly YA fiction. Adulthood is scary and seems a long way off at the moment! I'm one year into my PhD, so there are at least two more years to go before I'll have to get a real job...

I like the beach (I kayak, SUP (stand-up-paddleboard) and very occasionally surf), though studying it can be difficult, boring and sometimes just plain miserable. Other days, though, I love my PhD. It's funded, so I don't have to work part-time (though I do, because otherwise I think I'd go insane), and I have more or less complete control over when I do (or don't do) my work. Which can be awful, because without real deadlines nothing ever seems 'finished', but at the same time means I don't have to work 9-5 or even Monday-Friday. Plus I'm meant to get 8 weeks off per year. 8 weeks!

I have a book-buying addiction, with at least 50 books on my shelves / kindle (yes, I own a kindle. I like it for travelling and saving space on my shelves) that I have not yet read. I have told myself that I'm not allowed to buy any more books until after Christmas and my birthday, which is in January. We'll see how that goes.

I'm considering taking part in NaNoWriMo this year, both for my PhD and my current YA fiction work-in-progress. I'm away in Texas for the first week of November though, so my goal wordcount won't be 50,000 - it'll probably be 10,000 for my PhD and 20-30,000 for my novel (fiction is way easier than academic writing, even when I spend four times as long on the academic stuff).

That seems like enough for the moment. I'd better get back to writing this chapter of my thesis and panicking about my phone meeting with my supervisor tomorrow (I always, always worry that she will tell me I'm not working hard enough or that I've done everything wrong!).

Bye for now!
Amanda


No comments:

Post a Comment